December 1, 2011

Chapter Three: How I Met Marty

It was an early morning for me a few weeks after what had happened to me. I wasn't feeling quite myself, but I figured if I started to take walks in the morning or at least exercise, I could feel better about how I felt.
I threw on my favorite running shoes and a pair of shorts with my cutest tank top. I ate a quick protein bar from the cupboard and had a glass of water before I headed outside for a quick brisk walk.
I headed out the back door and stopped for a moment as I breathed in the fresh air. The light breeze blew against my skin and gave me a bit of a chill. My skin turned into goosebumps as I rubbed my hands along my arms trying to keep warm. It was late summer and autumn was almost on its way. This time of year was always my favorite as it was always bright and sunny in the morning and the wind was always refreshing when it became extremely hot in the late afternoon.

I was walking toward the front yard near the carport when I noticed a long shadow coming from behind the pine tree. I began to approach the tree, but stopped in my tracks when I decided to wait and see who was there. I waited for a few minutes before trying to convince the person to come out of hiding.
"Who is there?" I asked, "Will you please come out from behind the tree?"

A period of a few minutes passed as I waited for a reply.


"I am nothing but a homeless man. No one important...," a deep male voice said from behind the tree.
I approached the tree and a short, young man with white highlighted dark blue hair turned around and looked me straight in the eyes. It took me a moment to realize that it was the man I had seen before in the window who stared at me that night. Most people would have been mad that a man would stare at a woman in the nude, but how could I be mad at him when he seemed so lost and helpless. However, I felt lost in his presence. I could not explain this feeling. It was as if I had been around someone like him before, maybe in the past, a past that was not mine?
"Hey, I saw you staring through my window one night almost a month ago, but why were you there, and why are you here now? Who are you?" I asked the man.

He stared at me for a few seconds before he replied, "I am Marty. I am no one important. Just another homeless guy wandering around. I'm sorry if I upset you before... I had heard a scream from a far and ran over here to see what was going on. When I saw you with that man, I thought he was just a man you were with and nothing serious. But when I saw he was a robber, I was too much of a coward to save you. I am a failure, a meaningless failure."

"But, no. No you are not. Why would you say that?" I shuddered.

"I'm sorry, I should go. I don't belong here anyway," he mumbled.

"No, no don't go!" I frowned.

"Okay, I won't go, but why do you want me here?" he asked me with a smile.

"I have no one around and I am lonely. I would feel better if you stayed around, especially after what had happened to me," I replied with an awkward smile.
"If that's what you want, I will stay around, but I will not live in your house. That's just how I am. Is that okay with you?" he politely asked.

"Yes, but I insist that you at least let me feed you. I know you don't have any food for yourself and I won't have you go hungry!" I insisted.

"Okay, but for now, I have to go. I have some things to do. I shall be back soon," he replied as he turned and waved good-bye.
As he began to jog away, I felt a sudden flutter in my chest and my heart began to race.

I wasn't sure what that feeling was. I felt strange...
But then out of no where, I felt the urge to throw up...
I held my breath and held one hand over my mouth and one over my aching stomach. I didn't know at the time something was going on inside my body. My head began to throb and I felt dizzy...
Suddenly the feeling passed and as I held my head high, I thought to myself...

"I must stay strong. If I don't, I won't ever get over my fears... I can't stay fearful forever... and what is up with me? Is something going on? But what...?"

No comments:

Post a Comment